Ferns/Staghorn

Question
Recently my staghorn has turned black along one side of the plant eminating from the bottom of the plant,i dont belive it is fungal as it does not smell and is not spngey, but concerned that half the plant may be dying? It previously fell off a mounting board however did not show any immediate signs of the black colouring. thanks

Answer
Chester hi;

The black spot in the bottom of the plant is most likely a bacterial rot.  This will occur in areas where water gets trapped and stays in contact with the plant tissue.

For the most part, indeed the infected parts will die but the other parts of the plant (those with adequate air flow,) will not be affected.

It may also be that the previous fall had caused some roots to come detached and that the affected parts are now dying off.

I would wait and see.  In most cases, the die back would not spread and the plant would be just fine.  You may want to check your water management and keep the plant on the dry side, for now.

If the spot seems to spread beyond the bottom area, you may wish to detach a portion of the plant (away from the spot) and remount it, just to assure you can save it for the future.

DC  

Ferns

Dan Carmi