Ferns/Fishbone fern spores

I was pulling out a lot of fishbone fern today and there was alot of spores in the air, I want to know will they hurt me?  As I was there for a while.

I am not qualified to answer health-related questions.

The spores and other parts of Nephrolepis exaltata are not considered toxic.

However, allergic, individual, and long-term effects may occur.

If you have any concerns about health and wellness, I suggest consulting with a health professional. If you feel unwell, please seek emergency medical attention.

I hope that you are feeling well and merely have a general concern.

Dan C.  

Dan Carmi

I can answer all types of questions regarding ferns: their physiology, life cycle, taxonomy, culture (for both the professional and hobbyist), home and garden application and care, site suitability, and more. I can also answer questions in the fields of greenhouse production, foliage plants, and houseplant care, along with questions in the general field of ornamental horticulture. I may be able to identify fern and foliage plants by photo, but I am unlikely to be able to do it by description (though I will never turn down a challenge). I am not an expert in crop, field, and agronomic production. I am not an expert on annuals, perennials, tree & shrub crops.

I am a horticulturist with a formal education and twelve years experience in commercial fern and tropical foliage production. I also served as Adjunct Professor of Horticulture at Florida Southern College.

Florida's Nursery Growers and Landscape Association: current member and Action Chapter Board Member 2006-2008.

I have a BSc in Environmental Horticulture / Business from Florida Southern College, specializing in Greenhouse Management and Production.

FNGLA Action Chapter President's Award 2006-2007, numerous academic awards 2001-2005.

Through my place of employment, I serve hundreds of commercial growers across the country and beyond.