Ferns/macho fern

I am diveing several later this year and want to know the best mix to pot them in?

Ferns are very versatile and there really is no "perfect" mix.  I would say that the best mix would have a combination of aeration and water-holding capacity.  The most important thing is that the mix does NOT contain and pre-blended fertilizers.  A good mix would comprise primarily of Canadian peat moss (at least 50%-60%) and may include composted bark, perlite, and/or vermiculite.   

In addition to not having any pre-blended fertilizers in the mix, I would not fertilize for the first 6-8 weeks in order to encourage the fern to root and 'search' for nutrients deeper into the new mix.

If you are still deliberating, feel free to send me photos from the labels that you are considering so I can make a more specific recommendation.  I usually respond within 24 hours or so.

Dan Carmi

I can answer all types of questions regarding ferns: their physiology, life cycle, taxonomy, culture (for both the professional and hobbyist), home and garden application and care, site suitability, and more. I can also answer questions in the fields of greenhouse production, foliage plants, and houseplant care, along with questions in the general field of ornamental horticulture. I may be able to identify fern and foliage plants by photo, but I am unlikely to be able to do it by description (though I will never turn down a challenge). I am not an expert in crop, field, and agronomic production. I am not an expert on annuals, perennials, tree & shrub crops.

I am a horticulturist with a formal education and twelve years experience in commercial fern and tropical foliage production. I also served as Adjunct Professor of Horticulture at Florida Southern College.

Florida's Nursery Growers and Landscape Association: current member and Action Chapter Board Member 2006-2008.

I have a BSc in Environmental Horticulture / Business from Florida Southern College, specializing in Greenhouse Management and Production.

FNGLA Action Chapter President's Award 2006-2007, numerous academic awards 2001-2005.

Through my place of employment, I serve hundreds of commercial growers across the country and beyond.