Ferrets/ferret coughing?

Danee wrote at 2015-09-21 22:58:40
The idea that hairballs can cause coughing in either cats or ferrets is ridiculous.  Coughing is a response to a problem in either the throat of the respiratory system.  Hairballs form in the digestive system, and not in the lungs.  You do not cough because of something in the stomach.  I have had cats for 40+ years, and ferrets for 30+ years, and while sometimes some of my cats have had hirballs, it has never made them cough.

Coughing in a ferrets is usually either a sign of a respiratory infection or a heart problem.

Cindy Petrauskas

I have owned these little weasels for over 16 years. While I cannot diagnose a condition, I feel confident to have gained enough knowledge to answer most questions concerning general health, nutrition, training, safety, cage requirements, games, grooming, vaccination, behavior, nipping, adoption, care of ill and elderly, and common symptoms of diseases. I have personally witnessed adrenal tumors, malignant cancer and liver failure in my own pets, and have seem many other conditions at my job as a vet technician for six years. Now I am studying for my doctorate in veterinary medicine, but as previously mentioned, I cannot diagnose a condition. That can only be done by a licensed veterinarian. I will, however, do my very best to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

I have been a ferret owner (or owned by the carpet sharks!) for the past 16 years, as well as a shelter volunteer (Ferret Association of CT) for many more. I am now a third-year veterinary student at Louisiana State University, and I hope to specialize in these little guys!! There are so few doctors that will treat ferrets. I have my bachelor's degree in bio-molecular science, and I am currently enrolled at the the LSU College of Veterinary Medicine for my DVM degree.

Louisiana State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ferret Association of CT, Student Chapter of the American Society of Veterinary Medicine

Present: Louisiana State School of Veterinary Medicine: 2009-2013 (DVM Degree) Past: Farmington Valley Veterinary ER (ER tech): 2007-current Veterinary Specialists of CT (vet tech): 2006-2007 Central Connecticut State University: 2001-2006 (BS in Bio-medical)