Ferrets/can i wash my ferret with my hair shampoo

hello i need to know i can wash my ferret with a tiny bit of me hair shampoo please tell me

Hello Mya.

To be on the safe side, please, use a ferret shampoo.  It's not expensive and one bottle will last a long time. Human shampoos can have a drying effect on your furry little friend.  It can cause itching and a very dry skin for the little guy.  Why make your precious little friend miserable?

In addition, I only bathe my ferrets a couple of times a year.  They do a very fine job of cleaning themselves, much like a cat.  It's not the ferret that smells, it's their cage.  I wipe down my ferrets cage each day.  Yes, and the type of cage makes a GREAT difference.  It's important to choose a cage that's easy to clean.

Think about it; a dog has its' own smell as do horses, etc.  A ferret has a smell all his own as well.

Bathing tip.  I bathe my little guys in the bathtub.  Yup, just put a couple of inches of warm water in the tub (enough that he can stand up without the water covering his back.  You'll easily be able to suds him up and rinse him and there's no way he can get away.  In addition, he won't be traumatized by you trying to hold him in a sink or pan; trying to wrestle him during a bath.  It works wonderfully.

I so appreciate your question.  You obviously care a great deal about your wonderful little pet.  

If we at AllExperts can help in the future, please, let us know.

Fond Regards,

Janet Russek

I can answer questions re: Feeding(keeping that body weight up) General Care, Safety, Behavior, Best Cages, Proper Toys, Dangers to Ferrets (ferret proofing your home), Play Area/Room Suggestions.

I've raised ferrets very successfully for approximately twelve years. I usually kept three at a time. I presently have one. I've tried a variety of cages, habitats, toys, treats.

Highschool grad with some college.