Ferrets/my ferrets

Question
Hi my Name is Betty Johnson I have two ferrets I feed twice aday I was woundering what makes them lose weight and how do I know how old they are I have one I know is going on 3 and the oter no one knows but she not doing well I want to help her if I can just not sure what to do :(

Answer
Hi Betty,

Ferrets should always be "free fed" meaning they should have access to their food and fresh water 24-hours a day.  This could be causing low weifght, especially in an active ferret or one that just requires more food.  

The best way to determine age is by examining their teeth, which really needs to be done by an exotics vet.  Not every vet is an exotics vet, so be sure to check the phone book and look specifically for "exotics" or "ferrete" or "small animal sprcialist".

If you cannot find a vet in your area, write back to me with your city and state and I will try to find someone for you.

With ferrets, more than any other pet, they hide illness, so usually by the time they look or act ill, they are very sick.  It is this reason I encourage you to get her to a vet as sooon as possible...if you tell them it is a sick ferret when you call for an appointment and they won't see her that day, call another vet.  Time is of the essence with sick ferrets.

There are just so many things it could be...uou didn't mention any symptoms, so I have no ifea if she has adrenal disease, i sulinoma, dehydration...there are just so many things it can be, but almost always an emergency with a ferret.  Please, I really encourage you to get her to a vet asap

Please write back after her appointment and let me know what you find out?  I will keep both you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers.

Sincerely,
Jacquie Rodgers
.  

Ferrets

Jacquie Rodgers