Ferrets/My friend's ferret

My friends ferret has worms and she has an appiontment with her vet tommorrow to treat but he is showing signs of severe fatigue and dehydration I suggested water fed by dropper and pedialyte is there anything else she can do to help keep him through the night untill the vet visit? a respond ASAP would be appreciated thank you.

Hi Jessica,

Yes, would be a good idea if he is not eating, to get some food down him.  Always remember ferrets eat ONLY MEAT PRODUCTS, so, short of getting some Hills A/D (my opinion, BEST supplement available for sick ferrets...maybe she can at least get some tomorrow, as only available at vet offices) at the vet to make a soupy/gravy consistency food, she can get chicken, turkey or even pork baby food MEAT ONLY, not the meals with veggies, etc.  Worst things for ferrets are sugar in ANY form - any ingredient that ends in "ose" is sugar - check labels on everything you give them, veggies, fruit, milk, raisins(poisonous, cause kidney failure even in  small amounts just FYI) .  Make a gravy thickness mixture, warm, stir with finger to avoid hot spots, and put some on her finger, wiggle it into where it is on his tongue a few times, make him taste it.  Once he tries it, he should willingly eat it, if not from a spoon, then definitely will lick it off her fingers.  This will help keep his strength up. Let him eat as much as possible, refrigerate leftovers and continue to offer it every three hours.

So glad he has a vet appointment.  Worms are okay to nurse along a day or two, whereas most ferret-sick problems can become deadly in 24-hrs or less, as they hide illness until nearly dead, so always be one step ahead and get them in no later than 24-hrs after first noticing illness....and support with water thru syringe (slowly, give them time to swallow) and some "duck soup" is what ferret folks call a myriad of recipies folks have conjured up over the years (so you can look some up online if you want).  No duck to it...just named after the ferret named Duck, whose mommy figured out that giving these concoctions by mouth could save their lives, so continues to be called duck soupin his honor. :-)  i just use Hills A/D...figure the best animal nutritionists know better than I what a sick ferret really needs.

Any more problems, don't hesitate to come back here, but I can't control how quickly they will forward the question...if you go to my Facebook group THUNDERING FERRET PAWS, there are folks, experienced ferret folks, from all over the world who are very helpful 24/7 pretty much.  Hope to see her, or you...or both there!

Hope this answered your question.  Thanks for the honor of helping this little guy.  Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Jacquie Rodgers

Jacquie Rodgers

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS... WHAT I CAN DO: Being a ferret owner for 20 years, I can answer questions re: general care, cage ideas & requirements, healthy foods and snacks, safety issues, ferretproofing play areas, common causes of intestinal blockages, appropriate housing, litterbox training, making bathtime fun, toys, games galore, outdoor trips, "Do`s and Don'ts, traveling w/ferrets by car or RV, safe environmental temperatures & keeping your ferret cool in summer (NOT A FAN!!), setting up a hospital cage, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), helicobacter (ulcers), adrenal disease symptoms & care,intestinal blockages, helping your ferret recover quickly/safely from surgery; common problems of ferret ownership, illnesses; care of sick or injured ferrets, hospice/palliative care, facing & coping with your ferret's death, choices that must be made when a ferret dies, memorializing your pet online and in your daily life. #1 TIP: FIND AN EXOTICS VET BEFORE YOU GET A VET...IF YOU WAIT, YOU MAY FIND YOU HAVE TO DRIVE UP TO 6-HRS TO GET TO A PROPER VET!..if you did not find one first, be WILLING to drive as far as possible for proper care. AND.... #2 TIP: FERRETS ARE EXPENSIVE TO FEED, HOUSE, VET & CARE FOR PROPERLY...IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD ONE/OR NOT READY TO SACRIFICE, PLEASE DON'T GET ONE!! A FERRET IS NOT LIKE HAVING A CAT OR DOG!! THEY REQUIRE MORE TIME, ENERGY, CARE AND MONEY to properly care for them. Prepare to spend up to $8,000-$10,000 OVER A FERRETS LIFETIME (6 to 8 years usually) FOR NECESSITIES & VET CARE. WHAT I CAN`T DO: I can`t take the place of your ferret vet; if your ferret appears sick,PLEASE have your ferret examined by a ferret vet .TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE FOR A SICK FERRET - PLEASE, IF IN DOUBT, GET THEM TO A VET! 24- hours of a ferret not eating/drinking may kill your ferret! NEVER FORCE FEED A SICK..he may choke. Sub-Q or IV fluids from your vet who is not eating WILL help save his life IF he gets it in time.

I have nursed ferrets through many illnesses, an injury, and a variety of diseases over the years.Ferrets are so very delicate, yet incredibly strong-willed; a well-loved ferret will fight courageously to live if given proper medical care, close monitoring, and especially lots of TLC.& LOVE. A ferret can entertain for hours on end when they know they are the center of attention; and they can make even the grumpiest person laugh. They do require a LOT of time, love and daily care, but the love you give a ferret always comes back to you tenfold OR MORE!! I dedicate the time I spend helping others here to my precious little ones who have gone to the Rainbow Bridge. They taught me how to laugh, to love unconditionally....and how to live each & every day to its fullest, and for that I am forever grateful.

Yuma Daily Sun (local newspaper) recognition for being an outstanding ferret mom and having incredibly well-trained ferrets. I am currently working on book of ferret care to share my experience. JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK:!/groups/thundering.ferret.paws/ for faster answers to your questions and input from other experienced ferret owners. Lots of past questions answered on that you can still reference by category. If you don't find your answer there, please submit it and I will be happy to help you :-)

I read everything I can get my hands on regarding ferrets, I learn from my great Exotics Vet, and my own experience and interactions with other ferret owners. I am writing a book on ferret care (Great Need for a CORRECT one!) never rely on a ferret book OR a website when your ferret is sick. I can help with suggestions to use IN CONJUNCTION with proper care by your exotics specialist vet (ASK when you call for an appointment whether or NOT your vet has EXPERIENCE in working with EXOTICS..if not, move on and continue to seek one. The wrong vet can KILL your ferret. I learned this early when my ferret hurt his front paw jumping off the couch...a vet, NOT EXOTICS SPECIALIST couln't handle ferret properly because he was afraid of the ferret...and ended up xraying THE WRONGBARM, telling me it was not hurt. I took xray & ferret to EXOTICS SPECIALIST VET 3-hrs away & found out the arm WAS BROKEN & wrong arm had been xrayed. THAT is how important it is to have a PROPERLY TRAINED VET FOR YOUR FERRET!

WANT TO BE A FERRET EXPERT? I serve as the resident "guru" for this category. IF YOU WISH TO VOLUNTEER IN THE FERRET CATEGORY, please email me at and request an application. All volunteers must complete a general ferret information questionaire to be a volunteer in this category. Thanks for your cooperation :-)

I try to educate anyone who is interested in ferrets, as I take my ferrets with me in public a lot. There is a lot of MISinformation out there about ferrets that needs to be dispelled with fact, and ferret owners who need to be keep abreast of the latest and best information. FACEBOOK FERRET GROUP (OPEN): THUNDERING FERRET PAWS - Join us as we all share our pictures, stories & experience!! :-)