Ferrets/What's Wrong With My Ferret?

Okay, so last  year he went through depression I think, because he would suddenly eat less and he lost a lot of weight but gained it all back since then, and seems healthy aside from when he sometimes lays down and won't move and he'll get a very runny nose (or he's drooling I'm not sure) and he'll keep his tongue out. He's eating and drinking like normal (like I said before in fact he's getting kinda chubby), can you please tell me what's wrong with him? I'm afraid he may be dying or having seizures..

Dear Brandy,

Any time your ferret displays odd or different behavior there is reason for concern.

If his tongue hangs out when he's asleep or after a rowdy little romp, there's probably no need to worry.  But if the behavior is accompanied by other unusual symptoms it's a real good idea to have him checked out with a vet who specializes in ferrets.

Episodes of drooling, loss of appetite, lethargy, diarrhea, are symptoms of insulinoma.  Insulinoma can be treated but it needs to be nipped in the bud pronto.  This disease can progress into pancreatitus.  The same symptoms can be an indication of liver or heart disease, or renal disease.  It may also indicate some type of muscular problem.

Please understand, I am NOT a vet.  Therefore I would have your furry little friend thoroughly checked out.  At the least, it will put your mind at ease and you'll know you've done the best that you can.  If he is ill, you'll be getting him the professional care he needs.  Better to be safe than sorry.

I sincerely wish the best for you and your little friend.  You are wise to question his behavior and are certainly a good, responsible ferret owner.

Janet Russek

I can answer questions re: Feeding(keeping that body weight up) General Care, Safety, Behavior, Best Cages, Proper Toys, Dangers to Ferrets (ferret proofing your home), Play Area/Room Suggestions.

I've raised ferrets very successfully for approximately twelve years. I usually kept three at a time. I presently have one. I've tried a variety of cages, habitats, toys, treats.

Highschool grad with some college.