Ferrets/albino ferret called nutty

hi i have a ferret called nutty he is albino and hes nearly seven years old , i have noticed weight loss but he is still eating and drinking and he is lethergic and a bit wobbly when he wakes up . He is going to the toilet fine pooing and weeing is ok and can sometimes be hard to wake up . I am worried about what do u think could be wrong with him . thanks simon

Dear Simon,

Sadly, Nutty is becoming an old fella.  Ferrets live an average of 5 to 7 years.  Although I did have 2 that lived to 9.

I am not a vet, but Nutty seems to be acting about right for his age.  From what you've indicated he seems to be in pretty good health.  Watching the poo is important.  It's a quick indicator of possible problems.

One thing you can do to promote a little more body weight is feed him a breakfast of Gerber Junior Ham & Gravy baby food.  Not too much; just about one heaping teaspoon is plenty.  They seem to really like it warm but be careful to thoroughly test the temperature with your fingers (it can have hot spots in it).  Serve it along side his regular food.

Please don't forget the vitamins.  I use FerretVite.  Do NOT exceed the recommended dosage.  Too much can cause diarrhea.

I hope I've been of some help.  I'm wishing you and Nutty the very best.

Warm Regards,

Janet Russek

I can answer questions re: Feeding(keeping that body weight up) General Care, Safety, Behavior, Best Cages, Proper Toys, Dangers to Ferrets (ferret proofing your home), Play Area/Room Suggestions.

I've raised ferrets very successfully for approximately twelve years. I usually kept three at a time. I presently have one. I've tried a variety of cages, habitats, toys, treats.

Highschool grad with some college.