Ferrets/Cages

Question
What are some good but inexpensive ferret cages?

Answer
Dear Ryan,

I'm glad you asked, as I've tried MANY and after a couple of years of absolute frustration I finally hit on the BEST one.

What ever type of cage you get, if it has a solid plastic bottom in it, is difficult to reach into to clean all the corners, you will always have an odor problem.  Sure, ferrets have a definite odor (no different from any other animal - dogs, horses, etc.# It's the ferret pee & poo that causes the terrible smell.  So - being able to keep the cage clean eliminates that smell.  I've tried and proved it.

PetSmart has the perfect cage.  It's a wire cage #blue frame# on wheels.  It has a large bucket type tray on the bottom.  The entire top folds back, giving easy access to the whole cage.  You can view it on-line.  Since a wire cage bottom is hard on a furry little guys feet, I solved the problem by putting down some plastic dinner table mats #perfect).  You can easily remove them and wipe them down.  I do it every day.  And, there's still room for stray food particles & water to fall through.  The cost is aprox $169.  Believe me it is definitely worth the cost.  I have absolutely no bad odor in my ferret room!!!  There's plenty of room for food bowls, hammock, sleeping blanket, and even a small litter box if you want.  Happy ferret - Happy me.

***** RYAN, I JUST CHECKED PETSMART ON-LINE.  THEY HAVE THE SAME CAGE (GREEN FRAME) FOR $119 AND IT COMES WITH A SHELF AND LADDER *****

I hope this helps, Ryan.

Janet

Ferrets

Janet Russek