Ferrets/Ferret biting other ferrets legs

I'm not really sure if this is common or not but my first ferret, Mr. Popo, attacks my third ferret, Big Black (Both male and the 2nd one is Sandstorm and she is female), legs. I've noticed now after time has gone on that Big Black will go for legs on occasion too now. They only do it to each other and I'm just not sure if I should be breaking them up or keep them going. No one really seems to be making any noises but when I'm taking Popo off of Big Black, it feels like he is death gripping him. They hiss on occasion but that is usually just when I break it up. Mr Popo is in a cage on his own while Sandstorm and Big Black get along. Any suggestions?

Dear Jonathan,

You didn't mention if either of the two males is new to the pack.  If Mr. Popo was first on the scene he may be trying to strengthen his pack position and keep the female for himself.  Males will sometimes confront each other whenever there is a female involved and they can be persistent.

Usually there's no bloodshed, just a lot of hissing and wrestling and, sometimes, some dragging around.  Mr. Popo might not like being separate from Big Black and Sandstorm.  But since those two get along well it makes sense to let them remain roommates.  I would suggest supervising the three together during playtime until the rivalry is over.  You can try to distract them with treats and favorite toys as well.

Mr. Popo and Big Black do need to really become acquainted.  Try moving their cages close enough to each other that they can see/smell each other but can sleep without worry.

Yes, this a common problem with these little guys because they are very social pack animals.

Only time will tell, Jonathan.  All you can do is watch and play referee for now.  It's going to take some babysitting, but if all goes well it will be worth the effort.

Please keep me posted, as I take great interest in all my friends and their furry little buddies.

Warm Regards,

Janet Russek

I can answer questions re: Feeding(keeping that body weight up) General Care, Safety, Behavior, Best Cages, Proper Toys, Dangers to Ferrets (ferret proofing your home), Play Area/Room Suggestions.

I've raised ferrets very successfully for approximately twelve years. I usually kept three at a time. I presently have one. I've tried a variety of cages, habitats, toys, treats.

Highschool grad with some college.