Ferrets/Ferret stool

I brought home an almost four month old ferret not even two weeks ago. He's very energetic and eats and drinks normal.  However I've noticed something strange about his stool, occasionally (not every time) he goes to the bathroom there's a little bit of light red blood usually mixed in with the stool and its kind of mucus like in texture. I know blood is never a good sign and I've tried googling answers but coildnt really find anything to help. I'm not sure if its serious or not. But he acts normal and seems to not be in any pain. The stool is normal In color and texture but ocassionaly has small amounts of blood and I was wondering if you could help. Thanks :)

Dear Brandi,

You are right.  Blood in the ferret bon bons is Not good and there are many things that can be the cause.  It could be the result of a sudden change in diet or an overdose of his vitamins.  On the other hand it could be something a lot more serious.  Just to be on the safe side I'd have your vet check him out.  Better to be safe than sorry.  I wish I could tell you more but I am not a vet and I'd feel very badly if I minimized your furry little friends symptoms.

I hope all goes well, Brandi.  I wish the best for you and your little friend.

Janet Russek

I can answer questions re: Feeding(keeping that body weight up) General Care, Safety, Behavior, Best Cages, Proper Toys, Dangers to Ferrets (ferret proofing your home), Play Area/Room Suggestions.

I've raised ferrets very successfully for approximately twelve years. I usually kept three at a time. I presently have one. I've tried a variety of cages, habitats, toys, treats.

Highschool grad with some college.