Ferrets/Litter box Training / Best Cage For Ferrets

Question
Hello! I have a 5 month old male ferret. I am trying to litterbox train him but i was told that the only way to train him is with treats, but he doesnt like treats so how can i train him then? Also in a book i read it said that ferrets need a cage with a lot of floor space (length and width) as oppose to a tall and narrow cage for climbing. The book says that ferrets are not climbers. Is this true? What do you suggest for a cage?

Answer
Hi Jaime:

I noticed you marked that you felt my reply was not clear in some way.  I would be happy to answer more completely or answer any question you have about litter box training.  Just let me know what it is you need more information on that I did not give.  It has been a long time since I had to litter box train a ferret from zero...so if I didn't make it clear, please let me know how I can be of more help?  Hopefully I can help. :-)  i know it's not fun, but doesn't take long and is SO worthwhile to train them.   I think the older they are, the harder it is also be ause by then they have their own way of doing things.  

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Jacquie Rodgers

--------------------------
Hi Jaime:

NEVER TREATS FOR TRAINING!  Sit in a small room with litterbox & toys.  Play till you see him start to back up, then gently place rear end into high sided rectangle litter box.  They don't usually like the triangle ones.  Use clay, non-clumping litter to prevent intestinal blockages.  Put a few cups in, then every time they start to back up, just gently place in box, rear end towards rear corner.   Everywhere around litterbox should be flannel baby blankets or soft tee shirts for bedding. They will not mess on bedding.  May need a box for each floor of cage at first.  Use as many clean soft blankies as necessary to keep them pottying in the boxes.

If you start in a small room and onebox (bathroom), play till you see him back up, then gently place rearward in back of high backed rectangle box.  May need one box for each level at first. LOTS of safe toys and soft blankies will ensure it will work, AND it will help you get to know how to play with him too!  Play with paper bags, pull him along while dragging a towel or blanket or sheet on floor behind you.  

BEWARE:  anything not made of chicken....no treats except FERRET CHEW TREATS, WHICH ARE BASICALLY GELATINIZED CHICKEN BROTH...no bones of any kind, no rawhide, no pig ears.  Use high protein food like TOTALLY FERRET.  Check food chart at :(http://) mdferretpaws food treat chart and try to use only "10's" in the chart.  NEVER ANY SWEETSN NEVER ANY FRUIT or sweets of any kind, never anything unless it comes from a chicken.

Keep blankies in cage anyplace you don't want him to go potty.  He will train himself in cage.  Outside, start with small room, then larger one with more boxes, just watch him for backing up....that means he needs a ride to the nearest litterbox.  Be gentle, NEVER punish or get angry...it is not nevessary.  Tell them good boy when potties in box.  Use ONLY clay, NON CLUMPING litter, scoop daily, not just the poops, but all wet litter too....it is just below the top layer of litter, as it sinks down....so use a big serving spoon just for this and scoop out ALL wet or poopy litter.

BEST CAGE:  Midwest....best price:  Walmart for $119.  Keep doors closed  well or they get out.  Ferrets are very smart.  They are Avery social and need 2-3 hours of play with you daily.  NO KIDS UNDER ABOUT 12...just too delicate, they will hurt/kill them & probably get bit.  Ferrets are NOT cage pet, hamsters are.  Mine lives in my ferret proofed bedroom (everything that hurts him has been removed and room is designed as a big cage.  He sleeps with me.

You need to READ READ READ.  So many things deadly to ferrets.  Different than any other pet.  You MUST study them or you will kill him one way or another.  NO rubberbands, NO SHOES (insoles are deadly bevause they love to eat them and it causes obstruction.

Read everything at:  http://www.ferretcentral.org  AND buy FERRETS FOR DUMMIES vol I and Vol II for all kinds of info and dangers to watch out for.

FOODS....they are obligate carnivores.....MEAT ONLY.  NEVER sweets of any kind, NEVER raisins, causes kidney fauilure.  Chicken o ly, no bones....read food labels, or just use TOTALLY FERRET...many ferret foods are JUNK.    Sorry, I wrote a long reply earlier, accidentally deleted, now can't remember what I told you and what I did not.

Greatest danger is intestinal blockages from unsafe toys, rubberbands, shoe insoles, pencil erasers, etc, etc, etc.....you MUST READ everything you can get your hands on.  FERRET CENTRAL is a good place to start.

Join our Facebook Group at Thundering Ferret Paws.  Check the "Files" for more information and ask ANY question....people are great about helping.  Ferrets just are NOT cage pets, so you need to know how to keep him contained and safe, when in cage and out ...what toys are safe, etc.   SO MUCH TO LEARN.

Hope to see you on Thundering Ferret Paws!   Hope this at least gets you started!

Sincerely,
Jacquie Rodgers

Ferrets

Jacquie Rodgers