Ferrets/Male licking female's scruff

Question
Hello Jacquire,
My neutered) male ferret has been licking and nibbling on my (spayed) female ferret’s scruff area, between the shoulder blades. It has been happening several times a day- for over a month. His nibbling can last up to 10 minutes at a time.  It’s not hard enough to be mating, but gentle enough to be playful - but it’s pissing her off !  He does this when they are inside or outside of the cage, while she’s eating, trying to go to sleep, or when she’s just chilling.  She will hiss and get him to stop for a couple hours, but he will lick and nibble on her scruff / shoulder blades later that night.

I have separated them for 2 weeks at time by sending one of them to my daughter’s house. They have “play dates” every couple days for a couple of hours – but he will eventually start to licking and nibbling when they are together again.  (My daughter does not have any animals.)

They have been brother and sister for 4 years now - he is now   5 ˝ years old and she is 4 years old.  Both see a vet yearly and are in good health.  Any ideas why this could be happening and how to stop it?  Thank you for anything you can suggest.

P.S.  I'm glad you're back and hope you feel better.

Answer
Hi - Thanks so much for the good wishes...back surgery is nasty!!

Okay to your ferret:

Since he is over 5-years old, he probably has Adrenal Disease (tumors on adrenal gland).  You are at a difficult time, because he is "marginal" age-wise for a big surgery.  

If you DO NOT get the surgery, the tumors will continue to grow.  This, no doubt, is why he is mounting her...he doesn't mean to be bad.  He does not even understand what is going on.
Often when ferrets have lived together, one or both of them will die if separated, so do try to reunite them.

You basically have 2 options to treat adrenal surgery....a temporary injection which is somewhat expensive and once you start, you must continue treatment till he dies.  He MUST have either the injections of "LUPRON", or his prostate gland will continue to swell, OR a permanent treatment option....SURGERY to remove the adrenal glands.

IF YOU GO THE SURGERY ROUTE:
1...get THE BEST, most experienced Exotics Specialist possible. Cost can be from $250 to $1,000.....not necessarily with the most experienced one being the best surgeon.  If you write me again, I can give you Shelters/Rescues in your area...they always know the best and cheapest vets :-)

2...have a full blood panel (blood test) before surgery to be ure his heart, liver, kidneys, etc are all healthy, otherwise you can lose him on the table.  No promise you won't anyway, but at least this option is permanent.

3...have the vet inject 50-100 cc of WARMED fluids into your ferret's system to help flush out the anesthetic....a good vet will do this anyway.

4...keep him nice and WARM after surgery, preferably wrapped in warm blanket, being rocked, kissed, spoiled, i.e., helps him want to live - this can be a HUGE thing.  Unless someone is at the vet's office all night to monitor pets, TAKE HIM HOME WITH YOU, keep him warm, sipping water and thinned out Hills A/D (with water & warmed, stir with finger so it's not too hot).  Get Hills A/D or Carnivore Care (unsure of exact name, but it is Carnivore something).  I always use Hills A/D.

5...Secrets are to get a head start on fluids before coming out of surgery, then keep WARM for 12-hours, then in hospital bed (no ramp or steps, use clean, frequently changed,  light colored blankies when you can't hold him as you need to watch for excessive bleeding) in a WARM AREA.  If he pants, he is TOO HOT.  A panting ferret is a dying ferret; they do not cool by tongue like dogs do.  Skip the Elizabethan Collar, have NEVER had a ferret chew at stitches, just keep him swaddled :-)  the E-collar drives them nuts.  You MUST speak up for your ferret....he can't speak for himself.  I have never lost a ferret after surgery by using these methods.

IF YOU GO THE LUPRON INJECTIONS:
1...it is expensive.  Must be repeated monthly BY VET,as IT MUST BE GIVEN IN A MUSCLE or it is wasted.  Even vets screw this up, so SPEAK UP BEFORE the injection is given....do something like asking "what muscle do you usually inject it in??"  If they don't reply "thigh", then take the Lupron and go elsewhere.  If you choose this route, write again & I will try to find the name of the Pharmacy I used.  They mail it to YOU, then you take to the vet with the ferret....i.e., avoids ridiculous cost od meds...vets DOUBLE the price if they get it for you!

2...Lupron is only a TEMPORARY FIX that MUST be repeated monthly....they will try to use the three month dose, but it still only works a month, save your money and his discomfort.

AND PLEASE..... Put them back in a common cage ASAP....or at least two cages with their sleeping areas butted up against each other when not playing, or let them out to play separately in a separate room so it doesn't tease the other ferret.  Many ferrets DIE just from being separated; sometimes one dies, sometimes both do; you can even let them play together with gentle redirection, and when not out playing, put two cages absolutely up against each other in the sleeping areas so they can feel close together and smell the comfort of each other, even if separated by cages.  She will want to comfort him a few days after surgery....supervise closely on your lap, but let her sniff, lick wound, etc.  Only worry IF he/she pills at stitches...and plenty of fluids for him...I used warm, watered down A/D dipping my finger in it, then let him lick it until he gets going licking from short bowl or plate on his own....do this at least 6 times per day as much as he will eat.  REFRIGERATE any unused A/D.

However....for about a week to 10-days after surgery, keep his baby blankrts a heavier weight and keep them separated, but again put two cages next to each other, just not quite so close first few days.  Re-introduce them slowly, carefully watching because he will smell different and be sure he does NOT climb, wrestle hard, etc....he is in recovery for several weeks.  They will work it out.  The GOOD NEWS IS THAT SURGERY IS PERMANENT AND HIS PROSTATE WON'T swell again, not to mention the Cancer spreading to other organs.  It can get pretty ugly.  the swollen prostate completely blocking his bladder CAN cause hid bladder to burst.  not good. You have caught him somewhat early, but you need to start doing research NOW, choosing vet, costs, etc.  in another 30 days or so, he will be in a lot of pain.   Take advantage of this time....think your options thru carefully.

FYI:  Normal, healthy ferrets usually live 6-1/2 to 7 years.....have heard of a few living to 12 or even 15!!  So, if his organs all check out well, if it were me,,I would go the surgery route.  Worst thing that can happen is he will die during surgery and never know what happened to him. I have had several adrenal ferrets (males!) with the same quandary you have, even the same age!!  If I had to do it again, I would get the best possible vet and go for surgery.

IF YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AFFORD EITHER, please please consider putting him down. He will only feel worse and worse as time goes by...DO NOT LET YOUR VET USE THE "HEART STICK" method (they literally stick a needle thru their heart!!!   Instead, have vet inject a huge overdose (my vet uses same dose of anesthesia as you would for a 60-70 lb dog).  HOLD HIM swaddled in a blankie as he slowly gets sleepy, then falls asleep in your arms.  Not a pleasant thought, but SO MUCH BETTER than letting him suffer.

Hope all that helps!  Don't hesitate to write again if you need the pharmacy phone number (you need a x for Lupron from your vet, but they can call it in, then you call later and give your credit card # and it arrives at your door a few days later....it MUST be refrigerated at all times....put it in a tupperware bowl of ice to transport to and from vet :-)   

Hope that helps!!  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious baby.

Sincerely,
Jacquie

May God protect those precious little ones who cannot speak for themselves.

On Jul 6, 2013, at 12:49 PM, <experts@about.com> wrote:

There is a question waiting for you in the category of "Ferrets".

Subject: Male licking female's scruff

Question:
Hello Jacquire,

Please go to http://www.allexperts.com/expertx.cgi?m=11&expID=71769&qID=5054061 to answer the question.

Thanks for generously volunteering your time to help others.

Please do not respond to this message. If you have any questions, send to experts-help@about.com.

Thanks,
AllExperts.com

Ferrets

Jacquie Rodgers