Ferrets/Sick ferret

Question
Hi jacquie im not sure if u got my last question because i didnt get a question reciet so im asking again. I bought a male ferret from a pet shop 2 mo ago.he is a marshals ferret which means he comes with years health guarantee and fee of all congenital diseases. But this past mo he has been going downhill. Hes loosing weight, he has very little energy, and his coat looks unhealthy. Also he seemed like he was having alittle trouble chewing his food. I had the vet examine his teeth and she said they look fine. His stool sample came back good too. I plan to get blood work and an xray done when i get my next paycheck to check for blockage. I let him out of his cage daily so it is possible that he could have ate something. I have him on some hairball meds and ferretvite but im not sure how much of the ferret vite to give him as everyone has a different opinion! He normally eats marshals ferret food if that helps u. Do u have any idea whats going on? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answer
Hi Jaime:

What you are describing can be so many things.  Hopefully you have a good vet (an "exotics vet, not just a dog & cat vet).  Some vets don't know much about ferrets.  Look in your phone book for an ad that says they see "exotics" or "ferrets" is the best way.

The guarantee on the Marshalls ferret, unfortunately isn't usually very good, as they usually tell you to choose another ferret, then they have that one put down (killed).  Very sad  you are better to contact them and tell them you don't WANT another ferret, but could they pleasr tell you what vet they recommend in your area that can help it get well.  It's worth a try.  Ferrets can be expensive; sick ferrets can be VERY EXPENSIVE, so give it a try, but insist you do not want to trade ferrets...you want this one, but want him well!

Cat hairball remedy is basically useless.  I don't recommend it.  a small amount - maybe a teaspoonful) of plain Vaseline with 6-8 drops of Ferretone is usually better.My vet recommends usunf plain, pure pi pkin...NOT THE MIX, it must say "pure pumpkin" on the i gredients label.  Ferrets like Ferretone, but should NEVER have more than 4-5 drops a day, so it is best to mix it half and half with Olive Oil when you first get ut, then keep it refrigerated so it doesn't get rancid.  AFTER you dilute it with the Olive Oil, THEN mix it with Vaseline.  Same as cat hairball laxative, but without the sugary stuff.

You NEVER want to give your ferret anything with sugar in it.  They are obligate carnivores, which means they eat meat only.  Warmed chicken baby food (stir with yor finger to be sure it is not too hot, add a little water, then feed from your finger and try to get him to lick from your finger is best.

Ferrets don't usually act sick until they are nearly dying.  Do you have some nice soft blankies i  his cage (not the kind that shed odd fuzz...more like baby receiving blankets ir even nice clean tee shirts.  Be sure he always has FRESH, clean water in a clean bowl everyday.  Also, keep his food bowl clean....all ferrets leave parts if their crunchy food i  the bowl and you have to empty that every few days.

We have a group on FACEBOOK named THUNDERING FERRET PAWS and there are some "files" there to help with sick ferrets, along with lots of people who are there to help.

I wish I could diagnose him iver the internet, but unfortunately I cannot.  My best suggestion is the chicken baby food as often as he will take it, keep fluids in him by speinkling a small bit of Ferretonr (oily) on top of warmish wTer, dip your finger and try to get as much fluids in him as possible....same with warm chicken baby food (meat o ly).

See your vet as soon as possible - be SURE he is an exotics vet)  sometimes wrapping them lightly in a tee shirt or similar and rocking them, talking softly to them will help calm them down till you can get fluids and food down him.   

Have you actually seen hi  eat?  Some ferrets just don't like Marshalls food, but almost all love Totally Ferret.  Please go to THUNDERING FERRET PAWS and see if anyone there can think of anything else I may have missed.

Best of luck.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby.  I hope you can get help from a really good EXOTICSVET soon!!

Sincerely,
Jacquie Rodgers

Ferrets

Jacquie Rodgers