Ferrets/Possible Ferret Wheezing

Question
Hello,
My name is Ariel and I've had my ferret, Molly for about 3 1/2 years. She will be 4 in October and is as sneaky and energetic as when I first got her. However, while she was sleeping next to me this morning, I heard what I think is wheezing, on and off. She doesn't make that noise while she is playing. She doesn't have runny eyes or nose, she eats and drinks normally, she plays as much as she always has, and her poop looks normal. On occasion, she will have a sneezing fit, in which she will sneeze five or six times in a row. This doesn't happen too often. I've also noticed while she is licking (either licking my face or licking up FerretLax), she makes a wheezing noise. Do you have any idea what it could be? Should I take her to the vet or are there home remedies I can try first?

Thank you

Answer
Any possibility she is getting dust in her nose? Keep her surrounding areas vacuumed and wiped down regularly (about every other day) well...when mine sneezes, as he does occasionally, I take him to the sink, wet my hand and smooth whiskers, fur, etc all around nose and mouth.  Keep wetting hand and wiping hand backwards towards from nose/mouth like a mommy ferret would.  If that stops it, it is probably dust in her nose.  If that doesn't do it, if she has any mucous or wheezing whn breathing, then yes, absolutely a vet visit is always a good idea when they have anything not easily fixed.

The fact that she eats, poops and plays normally indicate it is probably not an emergency, as long as she is not wheezing or having mucous.

Best of luck.  Hugs to your little girl. Let me know how it comes out.

Sincerely,
Jacquie Rodgers

Ferrets

Jacquie Rodgers