Ferrets/head tilt

Question
hi jacquie
i was shocked to see my male ferret compo with a head tilt on monday he was losing balance too,  he did have a cold a week before,i took him to the vets on tuesday she looked in his ears and found alot of wax she also tested for ear mites but found none, but gave him a spot on treatment just incase, she also gave compo a course of antibotics for 2 weeks incase it was a inner ear infection
i just wondered if u have come across ferrets with a head tilt,loss of balance,inner ear infections ect.. and weather they can recover from it and how long it takes
kind regards sue and compo

Answer
Hi Sue:  

First, let me apologize because ai just now received your question!  You certainly deserved a reply long before this!  Because of all the AllExperts system problems, I started an online ferret group on Facebook called THUNDERING FERRET PAWS and there is always someone there, if not me then other experienced ferret owners who can usually help also.  I hope you will join us there so this never happens to you again.

In regards to head tilt, it is very common, usually just indicates that there is a problem within the ear, usually infection which clears up with antibiotics and cleaning out any debris left behind.  You can clean his ears with a Q-tip ripped in baby oil until it is drippy wet, insert into ear and use a twirling motion as you dip it down into the pocket just inside the ear opening, then repeat till it comes out clean. If he has an infection, the ear may be painful so wait a few days for the antibiotics to work before trying to clean the ear.

He should have a complete recovery....be sure to use all the antibiotics until they are gone, as it May God protect those precious little ones who cannot speak for themselves. come back if you stop the medicine when symptoms stop.  Use all the medicine till it is gone (which I am sure you have already done by now).

Hope to see you at THUNDERING FERRET PAWS soon.  Again, I apologize your question did not receive a timely reply.

Sincerely,
Jacquie a Rodgers

Ferrets

Jacquie Rodgers