I'm studying at an art academy and for a certain subject we are doing some research on fetishism. The word fetish nowadays is mostly related to sexual things compared to when the concept was created. Is there a reason for this?

Hi Gaby

The main reason for the change is that more openness and access to the fetish scene has been created by the internet and other media. Fetishism covers a wide variety of activities from foods to sexual deviation. The masses concentrate on the more outlandish aspects and this is mainly the sexual actions. However many aspects cover the body modifications as well as the bdsm scene.

It interests the secret society to look at the sexual scene but overall fetishism is really very very wide, but as I said not many are interested in wet and messy without titillation being front and centre.

I hope this helps

Chris Norris

Hello. I am a doctor of psychology and am able to answer questions on fetishes. This covers the following areas 1. Why we are interested them? 2. Why do we need them? 3. Are they all good? 4. Are they all bad? 5. Should we be open with our partners about our fetish? I am not judgemental and will answer any question in a professional and courteous way

I have spent over 20 years in the field of psychology, treating patients in age ranges from mid teens to senior citizens covering many behavioural problems from OCD, ADHD. I have also helped deliver CBT to individuals and groups

I have written for a number of forums and groups based in the UK and Europe.

I have a PhD in Psychology