Fibromyalgia/fibromalgia doctors


I live in New Orleans.  Where can I find a doctor that treats fibromalgia?

Hi Brenda,
First ask your primary care doctor if he or she treats fibro, and if not, ask for a referral within your insurance's system of doctors. Many different types of doctors treat fibromyalgia: internists, physiatrists, pain management specialists, rheumatologists. If you can't get a referral you will need to start calling around yourself. If there is a university teaching hospital in your area, that would be a good place to start. Always ASK if the doctor you are making an appt. with treats fibromyalgia as there is still some ignorance in the medical community regarding whether fibro even exists. I wish you good luck in finding a good doctor to help you.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joyce A. McKenzie


Where can I find a doctor to treat my fibromyalgia?
What kind of doctor treats fibromyalgia?
What kinds of non-medical things can I do to help my fibromyalgia?
Is (fill in blank) a symptom of fibromyalgia?
Where can I find a support group for fibromyalgia?
Where can I find a listing of the Tender Points of fibromyalgia?
The doctor just told me I have fibromyalgia. What are some things I should do first?
What is a good book to read about fibromyalgia?


I have had fibromyalgia myself since 1993.

Associates degree

©2017 All rights reserved.