Figure Skating/Funded by passion

Hi, I'm a long time skater (more than 5 years) who has only taken group lessons with no testing experience. I wanted to know if I'm a usfsa member, can I test through any club? Or do I have to join a figure skating club to test. Also, do I absolutely NEED a coach to test? And, would I have to start testing from the lowest level( Pre-preliminary?)

I'm interetested in taking both/either MITF or Freestyle and I think I have a good grasp of edges,turns, and my jumps are up to doubles (sal, loop, toe).

Any tips or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Sorry it has taken so long to answer (Regionals consumed me!)

Wow sounds like you are doing pretty good! If you are ready for the next step you must join a USFS club to test.  You could be an individual member but you will still need to either join a club or pay extra.

A coach is not a requirement but it is very hard to understand what is expected of you without any private lessons. The coach will guide you on the entire journey if you pick a coach that is at least of a Category B member of USFS and PSA.  This means they have completed basic education.

You must start at the lowest level.  There are many skills you may not have been taught in group lessons.  You can learn about requirement by going on the USFS website and finding test rules and requirements. Then I would suggest going to watch a test session, as the atmosphere is very serious!

Good luck,

Figure Skating

Dianne DeLeeuw

I can answer questions about figure skating, choreography, ISI or USFS. Also questions about competing (my Olympic experience or your own competition). I`m a National referre for ISI. Recently I also have been appointed a National Technical Specialist for US Figure Skating. But remember I am not your substitute for a coach! They can see what you are doing! To correct or instruct you on manuevers is really not what I want to do.

Experience: World Champion and Olympic Silver Medalist, coaching all levels of skaters at in California. I coach all levels and ages of skating from tiny tots to adults, first timers to International competitors. I also do choreography, music editing, teach specialty classes and give seminars.

Organizations: US Figure Skating, ISI, PSA, All Year Figure Skating Club

Publications: Recreational Ice Skater, The Edge

Awards: 1976 Olympic Silver Medalist, 1975 World Champion, 1976 European Champion, 6 time National Champion, US and Canadian Double Gold Medalist, 1999 ISI Great Skate Award, 2002 Woman of the Year

US Figure Skating category A certification