Filemaker/filemaker 12

Question
relationships
relationships  
input layout
input layout  
QUESTION: I am trying to set up a data base for a non-profit to use to track donations.  I have created five different tables: individual data, donation data, volunteer hours data, memorial gifts data, and in-honor gifts data.  All is going fine as long as I want to track data by individual...for individual "A" show (in portals) data from the related files...all linked by a system-generated id# for that individual. For the donation data table, one donor may have 20 entries, another 2 entries, and another no entries...in old computer science terms we used to call these push-down stacks. So far so good.  I can do input and print all desired data for individual records. Now, I need to make a list of all donations, regardless of donor.   Now I want to create a printed list of all donations by date, for all records (individuals) in the data base...not by record. I visualize this as a chain of all of the donation entries in all of the push-down stacks.  I basically now want work with donations, not with donors.

ANSWER: Jane

So it sounds like you need to use the donation table to make this report.
What version are you using?
Mac or PC?
If you send me the file I can take a look. Or we do a screen share tomorrow.
Jeffrey Cannon, 312-961-4742
Jeffrey@filemakerproguy.com

rough donation table, thanks
rough donation table,  
QUESTION: I did it.  Thanks for the suggestion.  It is now working just the way I want it too.  I just have to make it look better.  Your response was so quick and had just the hint that I needed. I thought that I had tried using the donation table, but evidently I used the basic table and just took all the fields from the donation table.  All is good.

Did you get two e-mails from me, the first with the file and another with some thoughts?  They seemed to go through.  And then I tried to send another that bounced saying that the remote host said that it appeared to be an unsolicited message.  All were sent to the same e-mail address,   Strange.

Answer
Donations1.png
Donations1.png  

Donations2.png
Donations2.png  
Hmmm. I don't know if I got an email from you. What is the email address?

And yes, you can actually create a report in either table, the Donor table with fields from the Donations table or you could just create a report in the Donations table. There is nothing "wrong" with either approach. There can be advantages to using one over the other.

I have no idea what a push-down stack is! What planet does that come from? Seriously. What programming language? I just like to know.

So do you need more help? And with what exactly? Making is pretty? Or interface (getting TO the report and BACK again?). Did I mention that donation databases is one of my personal experience areas and have created several of these solutions for customers over the years. FileMaker is a very useful tool for non-profits and other organizations (associations) who collect money.

I am including a couple screen shots of a Donation tool for non-profit that costs $99, developed by a good friend of mine, John Mark Osborne who has a firm (Database Pros). You might check it out. If not to use it, to tear it apart and learn from it.

http://solutions.filemaker.com/made-for-filemaker/detail.jsp?id=solution.1000000

Jeffrey

Filemaker

Jeffrey Cannon