Finches/Male finch won't let mother in nest aggressive

I have a make and female zebra. They were getting along fine and had laid four eggs in the first clutch, but they didn't make it. Recently, I found five eggs in the nest and they were parenting well together taking turns in the nest or both in together. Yesterday, the male started getting very aggressive with the female. He wouldn't let her in the nest and would attack her if she came in. He got so aggressive that I am now in the process of separating him from the female and eggs. The mother is afraid now and hasn't gone in nest for about two hours. What to do please?

It sounds like the male either has very strong protective instincts or just doesn't like the female sitting in the nest because then she doesn't want to mate. Separating the two was the right idea but getting a completely new nest might be the only way to go

Requirements of Questions: -CHECK MY WEBSITE WWW.FINCHFAQS.WEBS.COM BEFORE ANSWERS BEFORE ASKING ME -Must use proper grammar (typos I can understand but if you won't make an effort to type properly don't expect me to make an effort to answer your question) -Must include finch species if known and if bird is domestic or not (if you don't say, I will assume it's domestic) -Be as descriptive as possible -No asking about how your bird died If the above requirements are not met, I will dismiss your question (especially the dead bird one). I have no issue donating my time but will not waste it either. I have owned various species of Finches for over thirteen years now and have done everything from hand-feed babies to nurse sick adults back to health. I am most knowledgeable on how to treat Air Sac Mites, feather mites, finch breeding, and finch first aid.

I own finches, have read handbooks on how to care for them,and have researched the internet dry on finches.

Northern Alberta Caged Bird Society

There are no publications

None as of yet