Finches/Finches stopped breeding.

Dear Megan,

Good day to you...

More than a month ago, I have changed the cage of my finches around 15 pairs. I have changed them to a larger cage which is of around 2 x 4 x 2  (L x W x H). All these pairs include, 2 pairs of society finches, 1 strawberry finch and rest are Zebra Finches. They have stopped breeding since I have moved them. They have even nesting immediately after moving but I don't know why they have not bred so far. Need your kind expertise in this regard.

It is hard to say for sure because I'm not there to actually see the birds. It could just be that the environment is not quite right. They are nesting so that is a good thing but they may not think it the best time to raise a clutch. In my experience, finches are more likely to breed when there is an abundance of food, clean water, and long days (springtime). One thing you can try is to set up visual barriers throughout the cage. I usually do this with those fake vine plants you can get at craft stores (make sure you clean them first though). This way there is a line between nests and birds are less likely to bicker. This doesn't always help but is has worked before.

Requirements of Questions: -CHECK MY WEBSITE WWW.FINCHFAQS.WEBS.COM BEFORE ANSWERS BEFORE ASKING ME -Must use proper grammar (typos I can understand but if you won't make an effort to type properly don't expect me to make an effort to answer your question) -Must include finch species if known and if bird is domestic or not (if you don't say, I will assume it's domestic) -Be as descriptive as possible -No asking about how your bird died If the above requirements are not met, I will dismiss your question (especially the dead bird one). I have no issue donating my time but will not waste it either. I have owned various species of Finches for over thirteen years now and have done everything from hand-feed babies to nurse sick adults back to health. I am most knowledgeable on how to treat Air Sac Mites, feather mites, finch breeding, and finch first aid.

I own finches, have read handbooks on how to care for them,and have researched the internet dry on finches.

Northern Alberta Caged Bird Society

There are no publications

None as of yet