Finches/fighting finches

Question
I have 2 young female finches, one white and one grey. They are only several months old. The grey one layed 11 eggs and all seemed fine, they shared the nest and sat on the eggs together. Then after about two weeks the grey finch started running the white off the nest and it got so bad, (the fighting), that I removed the eggs and the fighting is still bad. Is this normal? I did just introduce them to a new larger cage. They eat and drink well and get a large variety of foods, They have plenty of room and toys to play on. They do share the nest at night. They are not pecking out feathers or drawing any blood or real signs of distress, just want them to be happy together. Thanks

Answer
No, that is not normal. It sounds to me like you have Zebra Finches which are known to be on the somewhat aggressive side. It also sounds like the male wanted to mate with the female some more and she wasn't letting him because of the eggs. The best way to solve this problem is either get a new male or simply remove the nest. She still might try to lay in a food dish from time to time but it should at least slow the fighting down

Finches

Megan