Finches/My male zebra finch

Not to long a go my pair of zebra finches layed eggs. Then one day I woke up and checked out my zebra finches and I saw my male zebra finch had a bald spot right on top of his leg, then I studied more. he is the one who is ripping out his feathers why is he doing that? I don't know what's wrong, he eating normal he playing normally and singing normally. There is no change in him? So please tell me what's going on.

It's strange he's ripping out his own feathers. He could be trying to create soft nest for his family. I would try putting torn strips of kleenex into the cage or other soft nesting material (avoid string nesting material since it can get caught in the babies' throats when the parents feed them). I personally use the Sisal Nesting Fiber that can be bought from My own birds absolutely love it and can get quite creative with it.

Requirements of Questions: -CHECK MY WEBSITE WWW.FINCHFAQS.WEBS.COM BEFORE ANSWERS BEFORE ASKING ME -Must use proper grammar (typos I can understand but if you won't make an effort to type properly don't expect me to make an effort to answer your question) -Must include finch species if known and if bird is domestic or not (if you don't say, I will assume it's domestic) -Be as descriptive as possible -No asking about how your bird died If the above requirements are not met, I will dismiss your question (especially the dead bird one). I have no issue donating my time but will not waste it either. I have owned various species of Finches for over thirteen years now and have done everything from hand-feed babies to nurse sick adults back to health. I am most knowledgeable on how to treat Air Sac Mites, feather mites, finch breeding, and finch first aid.

I own finches, have read handbooks on how to care for them,and have researched the internet dry on finches.

Northern Alberta Caged Bird Society

There are no publications

None as of yet