Finches/Tail feathers are falling off

I had 2 finches for 8 yrs, One developed a blockage in the intestine and died. I purchased a friend for the old timer and they get along excellent.  I have noticed Ricky the new bird is down to 2 tail feather, I have not seen any in the cage.  I have no idea what to do or what is going on.  I did notice there was one in the cage where I bought him that had no tails feathers but everyone else and the one with no tail feathers were bright and alert.

Help Please

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I never got the original email. It sounds like it either could be bullying or simply a case of feather mites. Keep an eye on the cage (don't let your birds catch you) to see if there is bullying. If one bird is a bully, separate the two. If not, then it's feather mites. Feather mites are an annoyance but easily treated. The best way to check if it is feather mites is to catch one of the birds and examine their wings. If the wings look similar to then it's feather mites. The treatment for it can be bought at The owner is very knowledgeable so if you have questions about her products, don't hesitate to ask.

Requirements of Questions: -CHECK MY WEBSITE WWW.FINCHFAQS.WEBS.COM BEFORE ANSWERS BEFORE ASKING ME -Must use proper grammar (typos I can understand but if you won't make an effort to type properly don't expect me to make an effort to answer your question) -Must include finch species if known and if bird is domestic or not (if you don't say, I will assume it's domestic) -Be as descriptive as possible -No asking about how your bird died If the above requirements are not met, I will dismiss your question (especially the dead bird one). I have no issue donating my time but will not waste it either. I have owned various species of Finches for over thirteen years now and have done everything from hand-feed babies to nurse sick adults back to health. I am most knowledgeable on how to treat Air Sac Mites, feather mites, finch breeding, and finch first aid.

I own finches, have read handbooks on how to care for them,and have researched the internet dry on finches.

Northern Alberta Caged Bird Society

There are no publications

None as of yet