I had 6 finches - 2 being baby finches born October 2015.Stella was sick for 2 weeks and Vet diagnosed her with cancer. She died 2 days ago, her mate is missing her. Other couples are not being friendly to him and fighting with him. At night he calls for her. I don't want to loose him.  Should I get a new mate for him, allow some time before getting one.  Please advise.

I would try getting him a girlfriend. Start by putting their cages beside each other so they can get used to each other without being able to fight. After a month or so start to introduce them slowly (preferably in a neutral cage that neither has been in). It may take some time but I wish you and your little guy the best of luck

Requirements of Questions: -CHECK MY WEBSITE WWW.FINCHFAQS.WEBS.COM BEFORE ANSWERS BEFORE ASKING ME -Must use proper grammar (typos I can understand but if you won't make an effort to type properly don't expect me to make an effort to answer your question) -Must include finch species if known and if bird is domestic or not (if you don't say, I will assume it's domestic) -Be as descriptive as possible -No asking about how your bird died If the above requirements are not met, I will dismiss your question (especially the dead bird one). I have no issue donating my time but will not waste it either. I have owned various species of Finches for over thirteen years now and have done everything from hand-feed babies to nurse sick adults back to health. I am most knowledgeable on how to treat Air Sac Mites, feather mites, finch breeding, and finch first aid.

I own finches, have read handbooks on how to care for them,and have researched the internet dry on finches.

Northern Alberta Caged Bird Society

There are no publications

None as of yet