Finches/zebra finch loose in the neighborhood

We have a male zebra finch that I assume got out of its cage and every evening it comes to the community pool. We have set out seed for him and he always gets a drink of water. He only stays around for about 10-20 minutes and then flies off. My main question is can he survive our winters here in Little Elm Texas (Dallas area). We are on a lake so it has plenty of water to drink. It can get below freezing around here and can he adapt. We know it is a male as his beak is bright orange and he sings. At present he looks healthy but will not allow us to get any closer than about 2 feet. If we put up a bird house will he use it or does it need to be a open nest in a tree. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS

Its hard to say but he stands a good chance of using the house if it has food, water, and the finch thinks it's safe. Zebras prefer covered nests so a full wicker nest with plenty of nesting material would be ideal.

Sorry for the late reply, I had email trouble  

Requirements of Questions: -CHECK MY WEBSITE WWW.FINCHFAQS.WEBS.COM BEFORE ANSWERS BEFORE ASKING ME -Must use proper grammar (typos I can understand but if you won't make an effort to type properly don't expect me to make an effort to answer your question) -Must include finch species if known and if bird is domestic or not (if you don't say, I will assume it's domestic) -Be as descriptive as possible -No asking about how your bird died If the above requirements are not met, I will dismiss your question (especially the dead bird one). I have no issue donating my time but will not waste it either. I have owned various species of Finches for over thirteen years now and have done everything from hand-feed babies to nurse sick adults back to health. I am most knowledgeable on how to treat Air Sac Mites, feather mites, finch breeding, and finch first aid.

I own finches, have read handbooks on how to care for them,and have researched the internet dry on finches.

Northern Alberta Caged Bird Society

There are no publications

None as of yet