Finding Your Purpose in Life/Starting to feel older now...

Question
K D
I know you are not a doctor, but you may have some insight on this.
I am 56. Not technically old yet, maybe 'senior. Generally my health is pretty good, no issues except for hypertension which I treat, and I am still working and enjoy it.
Up until I was 50, I was very active playing rec sports, going out with my wife, etc. She is 60 by the way.
Getting into my fifties, I have been having more aches and pains, so I opted out of sports because of fear of injuries, and I am quite content to spend most of my leisure time being a couch potato. No grandkids yet (still hoping) to get me more active either. I stretch and do 30 minutes on my elliptical everyday, however.
Does this seem like a normal aging pattern or not? I have no brothers or uncles to compare myself with, and no guys my age at work. My best 2 buddies are 45. They are actually less active than I was at that age.
AS long as I am keeping healthy, which I am, I am OK with this. NO issues getting through my work day, so I plan to keep going until I am 65 to collect company pension.
Just wanting to know if this is generally how things go for guys. Thanks!

Answer
Dear Bud,

I've given this some thought and done a bit of research on the subject.  I also am 56.  I'm not into sports, but I do operate a small homestead, which keeps me moving.  I am a minister and operate a natural health business.  The past couple of years, I've also become a bit more cautious due to injury potential.  I broke my arm twice in 2012, so it seems like wisdom, at this time.  I think you were wise to move away from rec sports at 50.  Healing just takes longer!  

As for your exercise and "couch potato" routine, if "couch potato" includes television time, I recommend a bit less television time.  It might benefit your hypertension.  I'm not a doctor, but I truly do believe television programming may actually contribute to blood pressure issues.  I recommend giving consideration to a hobby.  It doesn't have to be mountain climbing, but just something you are interested in and enjoy doing.  Maintaining interests and a passion for life keeps us vital.  

We do all slow down as we get older, but we should maintain spiritual, mental, and physical activity and stimulation.  If your health and weight are maintaining and you don't feel like you're missing anything in life, then enjoy the slower pace.  Check into a hobby, though.  My grand uncle used to say, he'd rather wear out as rust out!  

I wish you well.
Kind Regards,
KD Liz
www.thelandofgoshen.com  

Finding Your Purpose in Life

K D Elizabeth Beisinger