Finding Your Purpose in Life/Career change

Hi Nancy,

I'm Russ. Not sure if you can help. In a nutshell I am 39 yrs old, studied biotech in college, worked in research for 10 yrs then went into sales in 2008 and have been doing it ever since. Problem is I feel completely unfulfilled, am not a very good sales person but deep down have this drive an ambition that wants to come out, only thing is i cant seem to find my calling. My current job has made me unmotivated and lazy and I hate being like this. I feel i have the potential to be something great but I just dont know where to even begin.  Going back to school at this point in my life isnt really an option.  My true passions are photography and travel and not going into an office every day is nice; also not a fan of corporate America.  Any words of wisdom you can provide would be very much appreciated. I just dont wanna waste another 10 yrs of my life being miuserable and going in the wrong direction.  Thanks for listening :)

Dear Russ,
You are wise to look at your life now and consider other options. You're right--you don't want to waste another 10 years of your life. Life itself is far too precious to be wasted!
So--now what? Now you need to figure out where your passion is, where your talents lie, and if you can put those two together to be able to support yourself.
Can you combine your love of travel and love of photography and turn them into a viable occupation? Being a travel photographer is one option. Or working for ad agencies who specialize in destination/travel-related clients or even chambers of commerce who need images that portray their locale.
Think outside the box: who needs what you can do? (I am assuming that your work is good enough to be worth paying for.)
If you want to pursue that aspect, then you need to develop a portfolio and start connecting with possible clients.
It's not easy to start over but it is far worse to not start at all and just remain trapped.
Good luck!

Finding Your Purpose in Life

Nancy Christie

I offer advice and recommendations on making changes in your life, developing goals and getting out of your rut. This applies to both personal and professional situations. Please note: I do not provide specific career advice. I would suggest you consult a career counselor for those types of issues.

Developer of "Rut-Busting" series of workshops Creator of the Community of Change web site ( Former host of Take Charge of Your Life on VoiceAmerica Radio Author of THE GIFTS OF CHANGE, published by Beyond Words/Atria, with three foreign language editions.

American Society of Journalists and Authors

Cancer Fighters Thrive, Daily Health News, Healthy Woman, Woman's Day, Stress-Free Living, Tai Chi Magazine, Experience Life, HomeBusiness Journal (columnist), Succeed

Youngstown State University, Youngstown, OH

The Ritz-Carlton, GA Chrysalis-A Center for Women, MN Villa Maria Education and Spirituality Center, PA Breast Cancer Support Group, PA