Fine Art/1883 watercolor portrait

I have a watercolor portrait of a truly stunning peasant maiden. I and have looked for the artist since 1969.
Signature in lower left is 3 initials layered atop each other in red:
Long, backward "J" with a two-prong tip;
Smaller "C" rests on the upper half of the J;
Inside the "C" there's an "S" that looks like a "$" sign agains't stem of J.
Below this combo initial is: 1883
Color and technique are so remarkable, there must be records of this artist?
The maiden is light against dark forrest backdrop. Her white cap covers dark curls;green eyes; drab blouse under dark blue apron straps.
It is a fine rather than commercial portrait.

Dear Janet,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not imbed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.