Fine Art/18th Century Portrait

Question
QUESTION: Dear Sir:

I have a question re: my painting.  I sent images to your yahoo account.  Thanks for the assistance.

ANSWER: Dear Mark, It is extremely difficult to distinguish between an American and a British portrait painter in the 18th and early 19th century. American portrait painters either studied with British painters or learned by copying British engravings. I tend to feel this is more early 19th century because of the natural colored hair and style of jabot, and I also lean toward American origin. I have no idea of the identity of the artist, this is a most select area of expertise. I would suggest you contact the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Museum at Colonial Williamsburg and the Winterthur Museum.
Cordially,
Dan

QUESTION: Thanks Dan:

Any thoughts on the stretcher...original? strange that it appears to be red cedar?
ANSWER: Mark, Definitely not original, probably replaced when the painting was lined, late 19th/early 20th century.
regards,
Dan

QUESTION: Dan-

Thanks again.  Last question..what is price estimate on this painting?

Answer
Mark, Portraits unless of an important subject or by an important artist are at the low end of the art market. Your painting is not strictly Folk Art, so it is out of that particular stratosphere. You don't have enough information to attract a substantial price.
regards,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes