Fine Art/2 Oil Paintings

Hello Daniel,

I have 2 Oil paintings that I wish I could know more about. The tall ship painting(42"x31") came from Chicago around the 1930's I was told. The second painting(44"x33") came from Germany. The year was never told to me. If you can please tell me more about the two artists and maybe what they are worth, in case they are I will buy insurance on them. I can't read the artists names well enough to search about them. Thank you in advance for your help.     Simon

Dear Simon,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940.

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.