Fine Art/ALLEXPERTS

Question
HELLO.  THANK YOU FOR THE TIME YOU ARE TAKING TO ADDRESS MY QUESTION.  I HAVE AN OIL PAINTING BY LEO F. DORN.  THE SUBJECT MATTER IS A BUILDING WITH ARCHED WINDOWS NESTLED BEHIND SOME LEAFLESS TREES, THERE IS SNOW ON THE GROUND. IT IS SIGNED AND DATED IN THE LOWER LEFT CORNER, 12-24-1912.  IT IS PAINTED ON WOOD AND SOMEONE HAS COVERED IT WITH  GLASS, A NO-NO FOR OIL I'VE HEARD, BUT I DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE IT AS I AM NERVOUS ABOUT TAKING THE BACK OFF.  IT IS VERY DRY WOOD, AND THE PAINTING ITSELF IS ON WOOD.  I  HAVE FOUND INFO. ON DORN SUCH AS HE DID AT LEAST THREE MAGAZINE COVERS FOR PHYSICAL CULTURE MAGAZINE DURING THAT SAME TEN YEAR TIME PERIOD.  HE IS LISTED ALONG WITH FRANCES DORN, I PRESUME HIS WIFE, AS SHOWING IN THE MACBETH GALLERY ASO AROUND THAT SAME TIME PERIOD.  TWO OF HIS WORKS RECENTLY SOLD AT AUCTION ACCORDING TO ASKART.COM. MY PAINTING IS ABOUT 14"x12", IN BETWEEN THE SIZES OF THE SOLD PAINTINGS.  I COMPARED THE SIGNATURE TO THE ONE ON ONE OF THE PAINTINGS THAT SOLD, IT IS THE SAME AS THE ONE ON MY PAINTING. HIS STYLE OF PAINTING, I BELIEVE IT IS CALLED IMPASTO, IS THE SAME AS THE OTHER TWO PAINTINGS. I AM WONDERING WHAT I COULD EXPECT MY PAINTING TO SELL FOR AND HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT LISTING IT? I KNOW YOU ARE VERY BUSY SO PLEASE  RESPOND AT YOUR CONVENIENCE.  THANK YOU AGAIN.  IVY

Answer
Dear Ivy,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at damnfineart@yahoo.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).
Cordially,
Dan  

Daniel A. Hynes