Fine Art/Cleminson

The Challenge
The Challenge  
I have 2 pictures by R. Cleminson and they are named "on the alert" and "The Challenge" one is signed. I don't know if they are prints or paintings as they are double framed and I don't want to rip into the backs of them. Trying to find out when they were made/painted. They measure 27 Ht x 11.5 wth. in the smaller frame. Would like any info about them if possible.  Thanks, Michelle

Hello Michelle,  You have not provided me with enough information to provide you with a concise answer.  The work you sent me an image of appears to be some type of reproduction of a painting by British artist Robert Cleminson  (act. c. 1864-1903).  I say reproduction because he was known for only working in oils and your work appears to be behind glass which leads me to believe it is a reproduction of some kind.  I cannot determine its condition from your image so I suggest its value is between $250.00 and $500.00.  The other work you have is probably about the same value.  I suggest you take them to an art appraiser in your area so they can determine exactly what you have.  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.