Fine Art/Icart artist's Proof?

I recently bought a Louis Icart drypoint etching called "Basket of Apples" at an auction.  It is framed and matted and the back of the frame has brown paper stapled over the back so I can't se if the print sheet has been cut.  In the lower left corner below the etching it is written in pencil "…preuves d'Artiste".  It is signed by Icart in the lower right corner, again in pencil but darker than the writing on the lower left corner.  In the upper left corner you can see that when the engraving was made the words "Copyright 1924 by Les Graveurs Modernes 194 Rue de Rivoli, Paris" were etched in at the same time or perhaps it was a stamp on the plate.  I can't see if there are any other stamps, watermarks or writings on the sheet because of the matting.  The sheet isn't perfectly flat, you can clearly see the indentation where the plate was pressed into the paper. Is it worth my time to take the etching out of the frame and have it examined further?  I can provide photographs if you need them. Thank you for your time.

You should have a professional remove the frame.  You do not want to damage the art, and that happens quite often.

I suggest a proper appraisal.  If you want a referral to a fine art appraiser that is qualified to handle this, please email me the request at

I do not want to post his ph# here.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.