Fine Art/V.Delmar - French or English and when?

Question
Hi Dan

I just wondered if you could be of any help as I am trying to decide whether to purchase a painting by V Delmar and cannot find any details of the painter. I have found references to two painters, Victor and V. Delmar, either French or English, but cannot be sure which one is the one I am looking at! I can send you a jpg of the painting and a shot of the signature. If I can provide you with anything else, let me know!

Where can I find out detailed information of relatively unknown Painters as I have a number of other paintings that I would like to find out more about. I do have the Thieme Becker Reference books which are of limited help

Grateful for any help from your side

Answer
Dear Jonathan,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at damnfineart@yahoo.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes