Fine Art/oil painting signed "Valerio"

Question
I'm researching an oil painting that was purchased from a second hand store in Memphis back in the 1960's. It's a rather large harbor scene, a bit abstract/impressionist style, singed "Valerio". I found a very similar painting for sale on E-bay by the artist Hubert Valerio, born in Vienna, Austria in 1908. I'm trying hard to compare the signatures and figure out if my painting could be from the same artist and hold any value. The E-bay sellers are asking somewhere around $6,300 for their painting. I realize this doesn't mean much and I do not intend to sell. I just want to know the history and appraisal value. Can you help? I plan on taking digital photos this week.

Thank you,
Amy Baxter

Answer
Dear Amy,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at damnfineart@yahoo.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).
Cordially,
Dan

Daniel A. Hynes