Fine Art/old black and white picture

My husband and I recently purchased a picture from an antique shop.There is no visible signature or markings of any kind as to who or what the picture is.The scene is of what appears to be women dancing in the woods .There is a nude man on the ground and a group of four women dancing around him.There are also other women and men coming out into the clearing where the man and women are.I can't really determine the era of their clothes but are quite old.The picture itself doesn't appear to be painted but maybe sketched or something.Could this be a lithograph? I would like to know who the artist is and what the picture portrays.I hope you can help me or maybe know someone who could.Thank you for your time.Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hello Nanette,  While your description is very detailed an image of the front of the work would be most helpful.  What size is the image?  Any ideas as to its provenance?  Have you taken the work out of its frame?  Did you look at the work with a magnifying glass?  If so, was a dot pattern evident in the areas where fine details are visible in the work?  Cheers, Brent

Brent Luebke

19th Century to modern Canadian and western European fine art including paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography and original prints.

Sixteen years as an art dealer in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Edmonton Executive Association

Edmonton Journal newspaper, various online art websites.

Post secondary art history.

Art Gallery of Alberta, University of Alberta, Glenbow Museum, Art Gallery of Ontario, National Gallery of Canada.