Fine Art/very old original oil painting

Question
About 7 years ago, I purchased an old oil painting about 23 1/2 x 19 1/2 exclusing the frame that is of a blind Scottish gentleman being led by a wistful young girl down a rocky hill and over a stream. Colors are exceptional in his kilt,the girls clothing,and the expressions on their faces and even in his little dog's eyes are dramatic and the tiny details in the painting are exceptional. There is even a glimpse of a little bottle peaking out of his gunny sack. The painting has a non flourished, very thin signature of j.hagny in red paint toward the bottom right corner but is small and hard to see in the dark paint. I really don't know anything about this painting or its artist, but love the subject matter. There is significant crazing in the glaze, but it not so that it obstucts the picture. The canvas backside is very dark and the edges worn underneath if lifted where the nails are.  It could be from the early or mid 19th century based on my uneducated observations and I would like to send you a picture, but (forgive me if this is a stupid question)will taking a few closeup pictures with a flash hurt the painting if it is truly that old? A friend said that it might. I want to know about the artist and the possible story behind this particular scene, and how to care for it. Any information will be very appreciated.

Answer
Gloria, Flash will not hurt the painting, however paintings should be photographed outdoors in bright indirect light, no flash.
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at damnfineart@yahoo.com and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).
Cordially,
Dan  

Daniel A. Hynes