Fine Art/a painting we are trying to find out about

Hi.  We have an oil painting in an original gilded frame which we are trying to find out about.  We purchased it at a flea market years ago because we loved the painting but have no knowledge about it and cannot locate anything on the web about it.  Perhaps you can help?  It is in the original frame which is numbered stamped 100 and says Fretlandschaft on it.  It is signed on the back frame by the artist and also signed as "original Bogland'.  Now the handwriting is a bit hard to make out exactly on the wood but it looks like that is the spelling, Bogland.  The initials prior on the signature seem to either be an N or and H or J with a middle initial of 'E'.  The wood is imprinted with a stamp that says Kunsthandlung, Bilder Schiffer, Nurenberg.  I realize this is german so the frame was framed in germany.  The landscape is a painting of a farm with a pond and women with white head scarves down on a dock and on the waterside.  It is darker and a bit moody.  I'm trying to find this artist but all that comes up are painters of the boglands.......not an artist by this name.  I may have the spelling off perhaps  by a letter but this is the best I can make out. I would appreciate any info you might be able to provide.  Thank you.  Britta Wahlquist

Dear Britta,
If you would like to send jpeg images to me please keep each image of a reasonable size (not too large), and send them as “attachments”, do not embed them in your email. If you are looking for identification or opinion regarding your painting best would be an image of the front (just the painting, don’t include your lovely living room or pick-up truck), the back, and remove any paper covering (90% of respondents do not send me images of the back, I can obtain nearly as much information from the back as from the front), and close-ups of the signature, details of the brush-work, and any inscriptions or labels (use the macro setting on your camera for these close-ups). You can send this information to my email at and make your subject line “allexperts” so I do not bounce you as spam. It would be nice to receive feedback as I do this on my own time with no remuneration, free, no charge, nada. I do NOT research prints or artwork post-1940 (in other words if it does not look like your grandfather or great-grandfather would have owned it, don't proceed).

Daniel A. Hynes

Collecting, buying, selling, identifying, and caring for paintings, drawings,and watercolors (19th and early 20th century American and European). No prints, contemporary art, or works executed after 1940.

35 years as a fine art dealer, including 3 years as a gallery director. Also was art expert for Leslie Hindman's Auctioneers, and for Dunning's Auction.