Fine Art/Chagall

Question
Hi, I recently purchased a print of Chagall's Elijah the Prophet at auction. It is signed by Chagall (full name) and has a certificate of authenticity for the signature affixed to the back of the frame from Herman Darvick. I was told by the auctioneer from Marlin GAlleries (I believe) that the print was obtained from the estate (or the person himself) of a former Maitre'D of the 4 Seasons in NYC who was a friend of Chagall's. He also said that Marlin Galleries had received several signed Chagall's from this estate and had sold them at auction for a few thousand each and that they were resold for $5,000 - $10,000 each. The print is magnificently framed like a museum piece (the frame alone must be worth nearly $1,000). Can you tell me what you believe the "real" value of the piece to be?

Answer
The bad news is, Darvick is billed as a "signature expert" and does not claim to be able to authenticate art. Many of these cases turned out to be Low End Posters with a signature obtained by someone walking up to the artist and asking them to sign as a favor, or in some cases, Art Exhibits at museums produced signed exhibit posters.

The broker I work for does not sell this level of art. We broker original graphics that the artist had a hand in making and then signed. What you have might be more a "collectable" than investment art.  Of course I am not looking at it in person, so this is all speculation.

Dan

Dan Twyman