Fine Art/Chagall lithograph catalogs

I've come across some Chagall lithographs that were parts of his numerous catalog publications (DLM, Lithographe, etc.).  Antiquarian booksellers are selling some of the catalogs in full from roughly $200-$1000. These individual lithographs are being sold for $300-$600. Records on indicate that many of these are going to auction for up to $3000-$5000. Needless to say I'm concerned. Are these individual lithographs actuals that would command the prices that the auction records indicate? Are the lithographs that come out of these published catalogs still considered originals? Or do you suspect that something is fishy with such low asking prices? If it helps, the pieces in question (and the prices the gallery is asking) are:

-The Angel (Mourlot 228), $600
-Le Peintre-Oiseau (Mourlot 473, though the image does not exactly match the one being adverstised), $300
-Lutte de Jacob avec L'Ange (Mourlot 657,though the image does not exactly match the one being adverstised), $300

Also, some of the catalogs include lithographs that are 'after Chagall'. What does this mean exactly?

Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There are four levels of art in the Chagall, Miro, Dali, Picasso worlds. 1. Originals, drawings, paintings etc.
       2. Original lithographs etchings engravings (Hand signed)
       3. Plate signed, facsimile signed, unsigned but authorized.
       4. Posters, unsigned open edition (not authorized) decorative
         art, fake art etc.

I suspect your works are in level 3. I also own some of the poster books with unsigned lithogrpahs, I pay very little for them in most cases. Nothing wrong with collectables, just don't pay very much for them. If anyone offers you a "hand signed" work at the prices you mentioned, don't buy it. Of couse there is always the possibility they have been living in a cave for the past 10 years and are un-aware of the fair market value and starting prices for limited edtiion hand signed works, but I doubt it.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.