Fine Art/Copyriths

I found a piece of artwork on which is signed. I do not believe it was done by the person who has the photobucket account. I believe she is just posting photogramphs or drawings she like to her myspace account. I want to use the photo/drawing and want to contact the artist. But, I cannot read the artist's sginature on the image. What do I do? I want to get the artist's permission to use his/her work. I want to add a quote bhelow it and make a plaque combining the art and my caligoraphy. How can I find the artist? What do I do if I can't find the artis, may I use their work leaving their signature in tact? Your help would be most appreciated. I could send you a .jpeg image of the artwork. Or tell you how to find it on Google. My sincere thanks. Alan

Dear Alan,

The law is very clear on artist's copyrights. No one can use their art in any form without their permission. You will need to find the artist if you want to use the image.

Finding the artist may not be easy. You might try contacting the person who has the art on their website to see if they know the artist. Sometimes if you right click on an image it will give you information on the name of the piece or the artist. You may also try right clicking and saving the image in jpeg. You can then open the image in your photo program and enlarge it to try to get the artists name.

If you want to give me the information to locate the art online, you can send it to my email I will take a look and see if I recognize it or the artist.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.