Fine Art/Copyriths

Question
I found a piece of artwork on photobucket.com which is signed. I do not believe it was done by the person who has the photobucket account. I believe she is just posting photogramphs or drawings she like to her myspace account. I want to use the photo/drawing and want to contact the artist. But, I cannot read the artist's sginature on the image. What do I do? I want to get the artist's permission to use his/her work. I want to add a quote bhelow it and make a plaque combining the art and my caligoraphy. How can I find the artist? What do I do if I can't find the artis, may I use their work leaving their signature in tact? Your help would be most appreciated. I could send you a .jpeg image of the artwork. Or tell you how to find it on Google. My sincere thanks. Alan

Answer
Dear Alan,

The law is very clear on artist's copyrights. No one can use their art in any form without their permission. You will need to find the artist if you want to use the image.

Finding the artist may not be easy. You might try contacting the person who has the art on their website to see if they know the artist. Sometimes if you right click on an image it will give you information on the name of the piece or the artist. You may also try right clicking and saving the image in jpeg. You can then open the image in your photo program and enlarge it to try to get the artists name.

If you want to give me the information to locate the art online, you can send it to my email dheadley@fineartgalleria.com. I will take a look and see if I recognize it or the artist.

Best regards,
Dolly

Dolly D Headley