Fine Art/Oil Painting

My Mother bought this oil painting about 25 years ago.  She got it from an art gallery that was going out of business.  On the back of the picture it had  the name of the artist, but over the years it became unreadable and she threw it out.  I do remember that it said the artist was from Germany.  The painting is  large about 23 1/2 inches wide and 35 1/2 inches long.  It does not appear that old to me. The back has numbers printed on the canvas.  I surmise that means the canvas is not that old, thus neither is the painting.  I can't find any reference to the signature of the artist.  I am not sure what it even says.  It looks like furhmann.  How can one tell about how old a piece of art work is?   Does it look like a student painting?  My Mother paid  $137.50 for it, so I am sure it is not an expensive piece classified as " fine art work"  Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
I can send a photo of the signature if that would help.

These situations are the most difficult. You have a scenic, so searching under subject matter would be a HUGE task. If you cannot read the signature of the artist, it will be difficult for anyone to help, unless by chance, they recognize the work. You can search any number of styles from the Hudson River School artists to the decorative art market assembly line art and you will find similar images. See if you can use a jewlers loup or magnifying glass and try to come up with a signature. That will make the job much easier.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.