Fine Art/Old Painting?

I have a very unusual picture. It is mounted in an old frame with the sticker on the back which gives a date of 1916. At first glance the pic almost looks like a pencil drawing, but under magnification it looks like thousands of tiny silvery looking/black shavings?The pic is very detailed. This picture is mounted in a wooden frame with brown paper on the back. Nails are protruding through the brown paper. Looks like the pic was put on the glass then a piece of wood was placed on top and then that wood was nailed to the frame. Hope you can give me any info on this unusual piece of art.

First, I do not recognize the work, but being there are millions of unknown works out there, that is no surprise.

Second: It appears to be an etching or engraving at first glance, but from your description, it might be etched into the glass. Not something I see very often. No way around it, it has to be examined by an art expert. I can refer you or you can check your area for art authenticators. First you need to identify the artist and go from there. My experts are not really working in this niche, so it might make sense to take it to a large auction house and get some idea as to who the artist is.

Dan Twyman

I can answer questions about Salvador Dali. While I cannot do FREE APPRAISALS, I might be able to help you sell your works. I can also help with Chagall, Miro, Picasso and other 20th Century Masters.

Questions about a type of art or medium can be answered with one response in most cases. Technical issues are easier to deal with than specifics about an artist. If you need help finding values or history on an artist, it will probably involve research that can sometimes take hours to complete. If you have more than one image to send, I will give you an alternate email address as this system cannot handle multiple images.

Late 70's early 80's Worked for a printer and learned the art or Lithography. Early to mid 80's Managed a publishing company that produced fine art both living and reproductions of the masters. Mid 80's to 2003 Senior Art Consultant with well known broker of Dali, Picasso, Miro, Chagall,Vargas,Max,Warhol and others. 2004 - 2005 Independent Art Consultant. 2005-2006 Beverly Hills Art Gallery(Living Artists) 2006 - Present Salvador Dali Society. Senior Art Consultant.

Publications Various online art publications.

Studied Art History, Methods of printing, Various Mediums. Studied anatomy, sketch art, Complex shading technique, Acrylic technique. Bloch books(Picasso),Salvador Dali publications(extensive). 30 Years life Experience in the arts as an artist, fine art broker,Gallery Director,art consultant.

Over 100 awards. Set records in the Art Brokering business.

Major Film Celebs/U.S. Ambassador/ Fortune 500 Company CEO's and high level employees. Over 300 repeat clients in Fine Art. Beverly Hills local and visiting repeat clients.