Fine Art/Raoul Dufy watercolor - authenticity

Question
I am considering buying a watercolor from an acquaintance who desperately needs the money, and has told me she will sell me an original Raoul Dufy for $15,000 (she originally wanted $95,000, which she says she was told is its present worth).  It is an unusual subject for him (a cathedral scene) and may be merely a study, as it appears unfinished...unlike many of his watercolors with which I am familiar, there is a lot of blank space on the paper and the painted regions are somewhat sketchy.  Is it possible to hire you to authenticate this before I make a potential costly mistake?

Answer
I appreciate your offer to hire me, but I am a full time art consultant and stay pretty busy. I offer help here as a volunteer because I know how many people are in the dark when it comes to works they own and I think this is a great service for the public.

It is easy to find dealers that sell works by Dufy. I suspect you will be able to contact a handful of them and ask for an expert in that niche to help you. Make sure the person helping you is not just a gallery owner trying to make an extra buck..The paperwork you obtain has to hold up with your insurance company when you add it to your homeowners or whatever insurance you plan to use to cover a possible loss.

Dan

Dan Twyman