Fine Art/Salvador Dali

Sugaring Off by Grandma Moses
Sugaring Off by Grandm  
I have a very large Grandma Moses print in a lovely antique frame.  This print is glued onto something else.  When it was given to me the paper on the back had a sticker that said "Salvador Dali" and "Bali Beauties".  I believe the Moses print is glued to an original Dali painting.  Two questions. 1) where I can I take it to get the Moses print removed without damaging either the print or the underlying painting? 2) What would the Dali painting be worth?  The dimensions of the inside measurements of the frame are 23 1/2" wide by 19" tall.  The paper that was on the back was torn off about 10 years ago by someone trying to see if they could remove the Moses without my permission and no longer exists.

Dear Lori,

I hope you are doing well. Restoration of art can be quite pricey. Hopefully you live near a large city that has a professional so that you can take the painting personally for an opinion before incurring the cost. To find a professional, try Googling "art restoration and conservation". You can also try the same search in online yellow pages for your area.
On your second question, the value of a Dali painting can vary widely depending on the condition, subject, and most important (especially with Salvador Dali), provenance. I am afraid you may spend money getting the Moses print removed, only to find out that no one will authenticate the painting due to lack of documentation.
I checked recent Dali auction sales of his watercolors on paper and the range is great; from $3000 to over $100,000.
My best advice is to try to get a section removed to see if there is indeed something under the Moses before spending money on a full restoration/removal. Secondly, consider the cost versus the outcome of having a painting that will take additional costs in getting authentication.
Best of luck to you with your painting. I hope this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Dolly D Headley

I can assist with identification, acquisition, sell representation, and care of fine art prints and original paintings. Some of my artist specialties include Henri Toulouse Lautrec, California Artists, and the Modern Masters. I can also assist with information on getting professional appraisals and authentication.

Dolly D. Headley, owner of Headley Fine Art, LLC, has provided consultative art services to retail gallery clients in Sausalito, CA, and at since 1998. With over 14 years experience as a Senior Art Consultant, Gallery Director, and an extensive art research library; Ms. Headley has provided hundreds of people with her high quality personalized consultation services and solid guarantee of satisfaction. Dolly is a volunteer at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.

Member of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The Fine Art Collectors News

Bachelor of Science; Self taught with thousands of hours research and retail gallery consulting. Personalized mentorship from various experts in the industry.