Fine Art/Salvador dali

Question
I have what I believe to be an original signed E.A. of Apparatus of Hand dated 1927.  What exactly is an E.A.?  Is this a more valuable item then a painting or print?  Can you give me an idea of the value if it is real?

Thank you,

Answer
Dear Diane,

I checked the Field’s official catalog of Dali and this is what it says about your print:

< Apparatus and Hand is not a print by Dali. It is an “after”; a photomechanical lithographic copy of a 1927 painting by Dali, published by Leon Amiel of Paris and New York.

No exact publication date is know. Eric Grayson, a dealer of Miami Beach, Florida stated he got it from Yehuda Levin of NYC who stated it came from Leon Amiel “in the early 70’s.”

Grayson stated he sold some of the prints in that time period and kept the rest of them until 1993. He did not say why he kept them so long. He gave the edition 300 + 65 H.C. That number of H.C.’s would match a larger edition. He did not mention any EA’s. The print is on a smooth slightly stiff paper with cut edges suitable for posters. No other Dali print is known by Amiel or anyone else on this paper. It has been suggested that Amiel used it because he intended to publish a poster and not a fine art print.

Only one “after” is known to have been signed by Dali, but the signature closely resembles authentic signatures on prints of Amiel and other publishers.>

What this means is that your print is not considered an original Dali print as it was created by photomechanical means. It also states that there are no known editions of E.A. for this print.

E.A. (epreuve d’artist) is the same expression as A.P (Artists Proof) in French. They were originally made to show the artist to get his approval before final printing of an edition. Some editions increase the number of A.P. prints by as much as 10-15% to be sold as “rarities”. The problem is that by not having a stated number with the proof, one cannot tell how many were printed.

Finally, the catalog states there is only one known copy of this print being hand signed by Dali. Yours cannot be this copy as it also has the E.A.; which was never on any of the prints. I am afraid this information makes your print a likely forgery. There are many forged Salvador Dali’s on the market and buyers should be careful who they buy from.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
Dolly  

Dolly D Headley