Fine Art/Unknown artist: cabin painting

Question
Cabin in Woods
Cabin in Woods  
This is actually a photo of a print version of an oil painting that my family
has. We were surprised to see it in an antique store. We think our painting
was done in the 20s or 30s in New England, maybe Maine. We cannot find a
signature. On the back is scrawled in pencil "Do not copy". The artist was
supposedly married to my step-grandmother back then, but she is long gone
and we have no information about him. Any gut feelings you have about this
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answer
Tough situation. I suggest you find an art appraiser in the area you mentioned, one who has been in business for many years, and then present the work to them for an opinion. You are in a specific niche and need to focus on the region where the art was created. It's time consuming, but unless you find an expert that knows the image off the top of their head, this is the only way.

Dan

Dan Twyman